siempre a las carreras

I made it throught my first FULL year as a bilingual teacher with no injuries and/or lawsuits and I'm still somewhat sane and have a job for next year! Go me!!!

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Don't get me started...

During the training, I've met a lot of teachers who are in the alternative certification program. Basically they've gone through the courses of the teacher prep program in six months, then they get a classroom and keep going to seminars during the school year. They were from all over the U.S., Mexico, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, etc. and many of them were teachers there. Some of them were in other professions and now want to teach. I don't care if you go through a university program or alternative certification, as long as you WANT to teach and KNOW what you're doing.
I asked a guy in my group what he did before and he said he was a nurse. I asked why he changed professions and he said that he's from the Caribbean and doesn't "have papers." Since everyone in the program hired from another country gets a work visa, that'll make it faster for him to establish residency. After he said this, THEN he says, "Oh, and I like teaching little ones." I'm sorry, but that totally got under my skin. It got me wondering how many people are there for other reasons - getting your "papers," having summers off (mostly), b/c it was an "easy" major in college or whatever. I really don't think those should be the reasons you go into teaching b/c you're not only affecting yourself, but also a bunch of little ones. Maybe you can have those be your reasons and still be a good teacher.Hmmm... I sure hope so.
After the session started, our instructor asked if someone could give an example of a learning disability. So, a future BILINGUAL teacher says,"like when they don't speak English?" WTF?!? I'm all for participation and taking a guess, but she's a bilingual teacher! That should've NEVER have been her guess. Yes, I said NEVER. Her mouth is a disability.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home