siempre a las carreras

I made it throught my first FULL year as a bilingual teacher with no injuries and/or lawsuits and I'm still somewhat sane and have a job for next year! Go me!!!

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Ya casi se llega la hora

It's almost time to go back to school! YIKES! I have to report for the new teacher academy at the end of this month. It's kinda scary but very exciting. I hope it's not as boring as my friend's staff dev. crap. I'm scared it might be even worse since many of the teachers will have no classroom experience besides student teaching...OR... I can be hopeful that stuff will still be fresh in their minds since they were going over all this a few months ago. We'll see. I still have to read through the insurance stuff and sign up for that. I can't say I know much about that stuff considering I haven't had health insurance since I was like 11...and that was under my parents. This is scary grown up stuff :)

My parents got back from México a week ago. They went to check on my paternal abuelito y a jalarle las orejas. He gets sad and drinks. It's a long, depressing story, but mainly he's been very lonely since my tío, who lived with him, passed away in December. The good thing is that my tía had already petitioned to bring him over here and they're just waiting for the appointment in Juárez. In the meantime, we just call him often to check on him.

Wanna hear something really sad? Teachers in México make crap money. Shocking, I know. My mom said that a cousin (actually I don't know how related we are, but we're some sort of distant cousins)...anyways...she is a teacher and she makes like 1800 pesos a month. That's only about $180 dollars. And she works on Saturdays, too. Earning 1800 pesos there is not like making $1800 dollars here. A soda is about 4 pesos...a soda here is NOT $4 dollars! The thing that I don't understand is how you become a teacher in México. Supposedly she's had a certificate to teach for about a year, but she's only 21 b/c you start in preparatoria or something. I don't believe she went to a college or university. It's not that easy to go to a college or university either b/c Fox y los bancos aren't exactly lining up to give you a loan like they are here. Claro, que si tienes dinero, en dondequiera entras. Anyways. I guess if she had gone to a uni. maybe she'd be making more money. I'm actually curious now. I'm going to go look that up right now.

Oh yeah, I will not complain about how little money we make anymore :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home